Sunday, August 12, 2012

Creamy Cucumber Dressing

Most Ukrainian retailers offer three kinds of salad dressing: balsamic vinaigrette, Italian, and Caesar/some variation of a creamy dressing. It's all hit or miss, as in the first two are always a hit and the last one is always a miss. This summer I've been dreaming of the salad dressings that my colleague Ninetta used to make back in Alaska and share with us at lunchtime..... so good! Unfortunately she never revealed any of her secrets, so I'm searching the internet on my own.

Here's my first attempt: Creamy Cucumber Dressing (recipe courtesy of Chef in Training via eighteen25)

Good for Ukraine- you only need a cucumber, lemon juice, sour cream, sugar, and salt.

Why, what's that? Sour cream in a bag, of course!
Simply mix everything together in a blender-
and voilà- salad, meet your match!
I ended up adding some fresh dill to the salad. Next time I'll blend herbs in with the other ingredients. Oh, and it's best when refrigerated. The dressing isn't quite on par with Ninetta's creations although it is inexpensive and at least rivals what's sold in the supermarkets. I was a little freaked out to be consuming so much salad dressing but, eh, it's Ukraine. There's no such thing as a healthy salad :p

No comments:

Post a Comment