Arghhh.....we left our holiday planning to the last minute and are now coming up empty-handed. The original plan was to combine a visit to Crimea with a visit to D's hometown/relatives also in Crimea. Then we entertained a long list of other ideas:
- Skiing in the beautiful Carpathian mountains? Nah, too much like the last 10 winters in Alaska.
- Bus tour of western Ukraine? Nah, too much constant traveling. (I took a bus tour once from southern Mexico to Costa Rica. It sounded glamorous but it actually took a month of hard traveling, waking up at 4 AM and cramming into a small van to make border crossing before the heat of the day began and repeating the following day...and the following day...and the following day.)
- Awesome, awesome New Year's program in a health resort WITH DOCTOR CONSULTATIONS and LASER THERAPY and ECG? Hell yeah! Except that the program just ended. (Click on the 3 - 7 - 14 day programs for more info. All this for like $40 a day, including food and room and swimming pool with heated sea water.)
- 5 day / 6 night New Year's trip through forests and mountains and caves? Sold out.
- Travel to Hungry or Bulgaria or Poland would be fun, but if I leave my visa will be invalidated and I will have to pay a fine / won't be allowed back in Ukraine.